MemeTracker builds maps of the daily news cycle by analyzing around 900,000 news stories and blog posts per day from 1 million online sources, ranging from mass media to personal blogs.
We track the quotes and phrases that appear most frequently over time across this entire online news spectrum. This makes it possible to see how different stories compete for news and blog coverage each day, and how certain stories persist while others fade quickly.
Overall we track more than 17 million different phrases and about 54% of the total phrase/quote mentions appear on blos and 46% in news media. Too see how quotes change and mutate check out the figures in the More graphs section.
For more read our paper:
- J. Leskovec, L. Backstrom, J. Kleinberg. Meme-tracking and the Dynamics of the News Cycle ACM SIGKDD Intl. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2009.
MemeTracker builds on our previous work
- J. Leskovec, M. McGlohon, C. Faloutsos, N. Glance, M. Hurst. Cascading Behavior in Large Blog Graphs. SIAM SDM Intl. Conf. on Data Mining, 2007.
- J. Kleinberg. Bursty and Hierarchical Structure in Streams. ACM SIGKDD Intl. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2002.
- J. Leskovec, A. Krause, C. Guestrin, C. Faloutsos, J. VanBriesen, N. Glance. Cost-effective Outbreak Detection in Networks. ACM SIGKDD Intl. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2007.
- L. Backstrom, D. Huttenlocher, J. Kleinberg, X. Lan. Group Formation in Large Social Networks: Membership, Growth, and Evolution. ACM SIGKDD Intl. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2006.
Other related works
- Political Streams. Microsoft Live Labs
- L. Adamic, N. Glance. The Political Blogosphere and the 2004 U.S. Election: Divided They Blog. LinkKDD 2005.
- E. Gabrilovich, S. Dumais, E. Horvitz. Newsjunkie: providing personalized newsfeeds via analysis of information novelty. ACM WWW Intl. Conf. on World Wide Web 2004.
- R. Kumar, J. Novak, P. Raghavan, A. Tomkins. Structure and evolution of blogspace. Communications of the ACM 47(12): 35-39 (2004)
- D. Gruhl, R. Guha, D. Liben-Nowell, and A. Tomkins. Information Diffusion Through Blogspace. ACM WWW Intl. Conf. on World Wide Web 2004.